Sunday, March 30, 2008

Even my cooking is due to my control freakiness?

I came across the following quote in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver:
A lot of human hobbies, from knitting sweaters to building model airplanes, are probably rooted in the same human desire to control an entire process of manufacturing.
She's actually talking about cooking, and I realized she's right, at least for me. That is a good part of the draw for me. I must control everything. And cooking is a great venue where I have at least a veneer of control.

Random related thought: I'm thinking of signing up for a class to learn how to make cheese. I'm going to give myself a few days to think about it first, to make sure it's something I'll really want to do. I am obsessed with eating cheese, so it'd only be natural, given my established control freak tendencies, that I'd eventually try to make it myself.


2 comments:

Snickollet said...

Oh my gosh, two things:

1. That quote jumped out at me, too.
2. After I read the section on making cheese, my first thought was, "I have to do that." How much fun, right??

Mary Ellen said...

Oh my gosh, I love cheese!!! What a great idea!