Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Our Herb Garden



There it is: our brand-new herb garden. I dug out a little corner of the yard right next to the patio. I figured that an herb garden should be pretty close to the house so I can just run out while I'm cooking. Parsley, rosemary, chives, and cilantro. That's it...those are the ones I'm likely to use in great quantities. We get herbs as part of our CSA share, so I didn't want to go too overboard.

We also planted our sunflower seeds. I refrained from taking a picture of that as I can't imagine it would be all that interesting to see a picture of an empty bed. Hey, hopefully in a couple months, though, I'll be posting pictures of gigantic sunflowers!

And, I couldn't resist: when I went to the garden store, right next to the herbs were strawberries. I got six little plants and stuck them in front of the sunflowers. I have no idea what will happen: if they'll ever even grow strawberries, or if any strawberries that grow will be eaten by animals. Who knows, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try. They're June bearers, and already have a few flowers so it shouldn't be too long a wait to see what happens!

I think this is it for me in terms of gardening. We have a giant area of overgrown garden that is still wild and untended. I'm not going to attempt to clean it up this year. In good news, I know at the very back corner of it, there are wild blackberries growing. In the past we've eaten a few berries, but mostly have just left them for the birds. This year I think I'll brave the thorns and try to get a more sizable amount. Birds be damned!

Random unrelated thought: I'm part way into Unaccustomed Earth by Jumpha Lahiri. I have to get moving. I have both that book and Run from the library and both are 14 day no renewal books that are due next week. Stupid trip to NJ eating away at my reading time! I didn't have time to read at all while I was there, probably due to the fact that I had at least one child hanging on me at all times of the day and night.

No comments: