Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Mother of the Year

Well, it's getting close to the end of 2007, and I wasn't sure I had quite clinched my nomination for Mother of the Year. So, I decided to take my kids to get their hair cut today.

It started well. Sure, if you consider that the crying didn't start until I pulled into the parking lot. I had to carry both boys, kicking and screaming into the hair salon. They calmed down a little while we were waiting, thanks to some lollipops, but the screaming started again once B-man was in the chair. N-man, even though his hair wasn't even being cut yet, joined the chorus. I tried to console them, but mostly ended up holding B-man forcibly in the chair while the receptionist, other children, and other parents all came over to try to help me. To no avail.

I thought things were bad, and then it was N-man's turn. He cried. He kicked. He tried to jump out of the chair. He buried his head in his lap. He drooled spit all over me.

Longest half hour of the day.

The hairdresser gave me a hug after. I guess I looked a little frazzled. One of the other moms there told me I was the one who deserved the prize when the little prizes were given to my kids after their haircuts were done.

I'm pretty sure when we got home, the boys finished up the form to nominate me for mother of the year, 2007.

On the plus side, they look pretty darn cute, and it'll be at least another 6 weeks until they need another hair cut.

Random unrelated thought of the day:

I think I'm going to start a "What I'm reading" feature. Here it is, what I'm reading: Dhampir by Barb and J.C. Hendee. It's not something I would normally have chosen. Despite the fact that I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I'm not really much for vampire slayer fiction. But, this book was in the house, and The King said it was good, so here I am, half-way through it. It is enjoyable, right now it's earning about 3.5 stars out of 5. We'll see how the rest of the book goes.

No comments: