Saturday, February 2, 2008

Hypocrite? Does that have something to do with a hippo's blood?

Am I a hypocrite? I think so. I recently made a comment about people who spend a ridiculous amount on a preschool, that they should send their kids to a reasonably priced preschool and sponsor two or three other kids to go to preschool with the money they've saved. I feel the same way about many things, like people who spend $500 on a pair of shoes, or $1,000 on a purse. If I had that kind of money, I hope I wouldn't spend it on status symbol products, but would instead continue buying more reasonably priced things and then use the extra money to donate to charity.

However, I wonder where the line is drawn. I don't buy the cheapest products available. I just bought a pair of $60 sneakers. I could have gotten a $30 pair, but I didn't because I didn't like them as much. But should I have? By my reasoning, I should have bought the pair that was half as expensive and sent the extra $30 to the March of Dimes or something.

Maybe sneakers aren't the best example, since there is a health risk...bad sneakers could lead to hurt knees or sore calves or just uncomfortable feet. But what about other things? I buy my kids a lot of new clothes rather than used. I don't buy haute couture for me, but I also don't buy the least expensive things I can find. I live in a comfortable house in a very expensive area. We could certainly cut back on our spending. What is the level of comfort that is okay, and where does it cross the line into over-consumption?

And, here's where I really get hypocritical: if we do have some money leftover at the end of the month, we rarely give any more than normal to charity. It's earmarked for the boys' college fund. So I should probably get off my high horse and stop judging that guy who drives around in the ridiculously expensive car or the woman who buys face cream that cost $1,000 an ounce.

But it is kind of fun, isn't it? Is there anything more rewarding than laughing at the people who think you're going to be impressed by how expensive their stuff is?

Random unrelated thought: Here it is, the complete list of good things about having hands that are always freezing cold:

1. Chocolate chips don't melt in your hands.
2.

3 comments:

Snickollet said...

You think about where your money goes--that's already much more than many people do. And as for putting $$ in your kids' college fund . . . it's not like you're buying yourself a Prada bag! I think saving for college is "giving to charity," if you see what I mean.

I'm trying to think of another good thing about having freezing-cold hands and I'm coming up empty.

Anonymous said...

Love your thoughts on the $. $1000 on face cream? I didn't even think such a thing existed! I'm out of touch.
And Snicks....what's so bad about a Prada Bag? Just kidding! The closest I'll ever get to Prada is a replica I buy off the street that says "Prado".
As for the hands.....cold hands...hmmm....stumped.

What A Card said...

Well, I guess saving for their college isn't that bad, as long as they do something worthwhile with their education :) Right now, we have about enough for them to buy books for a semester. Maybe!

It's kind of outdated, Gio, but here's a list of the most expensive face creams from 2006: http://extratv.warnerbros.com
/2006/09/the_worlds_most_expensive
_face.html

Freezing hands: up until yesterday, I wasn't aware there were any benefits of cold hands. I'm giving away my addiction to chocolate chips on this blog...everyone reading is going to think I'm always snitching chocolate chips right out of the bag. That's only partially true: sometimes I'm baking them into cookies or pancakes. Hey, a meal's not complete if you can't work some chocolate into it!