Friday, July 31, 2009

Dragon Problems

N-man, on blowing out the pretend candles on the pretend birthday cake he made out of legos for his pretend birthday: "Mommy! I can't blow out the candles! I'm a dragon, and I just blow out more fire!"

_______________

On a totally unrelated note, but also something hilarious that N-man does, if His food is too hot to eat, he tells me, "Mommy, blow on it! I need you to make my food warmer!"

So I say, "Okay, but I think you need me to make it cooler."

His answer: "No, I don't want it cool! I want my food warm."

We had this conversation many times, about food, and about when he's too hot. Finally, I came to understand that when he says he wants something "warmer", he doesn't mean add more heat. He means make it warm temperature, rather than hot. So to him, to cool something off from too hot is to make something warmer, in contrast to hotter or cooler or colder.

It actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it. If it doesn't break your brain. I love how his mind works. Clearly he's never heard anyone else ask for their food to be "warmer" when they mean "cooler". He's thought of this one all on his own!

7 comments:

Jan said...

You gotta love the logic of little children. I still remember stuff my girls told me when they were little.

Anonymous said...

Only a kid, but already challenging the laws of thermodynamics. I see big things is N-man's future!

Jeanne Estridge said...

I love this stage, when they think in ways unmuddied by how everyone else thinks!

Nancy said...

HAH! That rocks. He's so smart!

Ronnica said...

That does make sense. To "warm" something should be to make it "warm" not to make it hotter. Hmmm.

Threeundertwo said...

Smart mom, to decipher it all!

Anonymous said...

I love the stories. The logic about food being warm makes sense too. Smart kids!

We run corn on the cob under cold water to cool it down for my daughter and she asks us to do that for other foods too. Which is most cases would be a big yuck!

I like the dragon story too!
Dana