Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What's Your Tag Line?

I have a post up over on The Book Nook reviewing Cell by Stephen King. I try not to be entirely tangential over there, but here, well, all bets are off. So I'm going to own up to you all why I picked up Cell even though I haven't read any Stephen King in years. It was because of the tag line. Printed right across the front cover is:

YOUR NUMBER IS UP!
CELL

I mean, how genius is that? I love a good tag line. They crack me up and yet still pull me in.

Which brings me around to my favorite all time tag line. It's for the movie Popcorn. And here's the tag line: Buy a bag, go home in a box. You can just hear announcer guy announcing that in his announcer-y voice, can't you?

Have I ever seen the movie? No. Do I ever plan to see the movie? No. But am I *still* cracking up about that tag line over 15 years later? You betcha! So thank you, makers of Popcorn. Thank you, tag line writer of Cell. You keep me entertained.

What's your favorite tag line?

____________________

Replies to comments on The Redemption of the Coffee Wench:

Thanks, Nancy! Hope this is another out-of-nowhere post for you!

Gio, I'll email you offline. Yes, I travel out of my way to go to a supermarket that has Caramel Macchiatos :)

Sheri, Splenda, say it ain't so! I can accept you voting for McCain, but please, using Splenda? :)

Melodie, yes, that was my issue, too, about the inherent undertext that maybe I should be drinking a low-cal beverage.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought and read a book called "Mating" by Norman Rush because it had a review that called it a "Stunning tale of love at its apogee". Huh? It was a pretty good novel but with a tagline like that, I was bound to be disappointed. My sister had a huge crush on Tom Cruise and she had a Coctail poster up in her room - tagline, "When he pours, he reigns" - groan!

Dana

Melodie said...

I'm at a total loss here. I just can't think of any tag lines, good or bad.

Anonymous said...

Dude the Popcorn one is the best of all time - clearly. I've always liked Army of Darkness too: "Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas" and my fave horror movie of all time - Re-Animator: "Herbert West has a very good head on his shoulders... and another one in a dish on his desk". And I have a pic of it on my fridge LOL!
One more from This is Spinal Tap (classic film): "Does for rock and roll what "The Sound of Music" did for hills." Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Glad that you liked the Coctail tagline! It cracks me up too. I love this topic!

Here are some more from me:

"In space no one can hear you scream." Alien

"They'll never get caught. They're on a mission from God." The Blues Brothers

"Don't get him wet, keep him out of bright light, and never feed him after midnight." Gremlins

And from a movie junkie friend-

The Princess Bride: "Scaling the Cliffs of Insanity, Battling Rodents of Unusual Size, Facing torture in the Pit of Despair. - True love has never been a snap."

Spinal Tap "Does for rock and roll what "The Sound of Music" did for hills."

Awesome!
Dana