Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The "Surprise"

Yesterday N-man and B-man didn't have anything to bring home from school. The teacher explained that they were working on a special secret project that they'd bring home later.

We made it to the car before the kids told me it was a Mother's Day present. I told them that was great, but they shouldn't tell me what it is.

By the time we walked in the door, N-man wanted me to guess which table he sat at to work on it. I know which teacher was helping him!

By lunch time, it was still on N-man's mind. He wanted to keep the secret, but wanted to let me in on it as well. B-man, while more staunch in his desire to not tell, had no problem with N-man giving hints.

"Mommy, guess what we made today," N-man said.

"I don't want to ruin the surprise. You don't have to tell me."

"Just guess," N-man said.

"Okay. A drawing."

"Nope. Guess again."

"A painting."

"No. I'll give you a hint. It's what this is in." He pointed to a large fake flower arrangement in a vase.

"A vase?" I guessed.

"No. It's a flower pot," N-man revealed.

"You weren't supposed to tell!" said B-man.

"It's okay, I didn't hear," I lied.

"IT'S A FLOWER POT," N-man yelled.

I got a case of the giggles then.

I guess the surprise is that he lasted a full hour before telling me!

6 comments:

Jeanne Estridge said...

I wonder when they transform from little "can't keep a secret to save their lives" elves to "torture won't pry it from my lips" teenagers?

Too funny.

Nancy said...

HAHAHAHAH OMG, I just love your kids :)

Ronnica said...

Gotta love that he spoke up when you "didn't hear."

jongirl said...

Well, he might have revealed WHAT it is, but you don't know exactly HOW it's decorated! The real surprise is yet to come!

Amy said...

That is so cute.

Anonymous said...

Love it! I think that lasting an hour without telling you is great.
Dana