Wednesday, September 24, 2008

John Travola's Bread

I went to the grocery store with 4 items on my list. How many of those items did I come home with? Three. Yes, I had a list. Yes, I looked at the list. Yes, it was a ridiculously short list. Yes, I still managed to forget one of the items.

And what did I forget? Hot dog rolls. I have the hot dogs, but no rolls.

I have a good excuse, though. Well, maybe not *good* but it's an excuse. See, I had to buy sandwich bread, too. I'm extremely high maintenance about bread. Here's what I'm looking for: whole grain, no high fructose corn syrup, tastes good, and is nut-safe. That's harder to find than you'd think, but we finally decided on Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain Oatmeal Small Slice. The boys like it, I like it, TK likes it. You don't know how many loaves we tried until we found this.

I was standing in the bread aisles, searching futilely for my bread. Luckily, the guy who delivers the Pepperidge Farm bread happened to be there stocking the shelves. He asked if he could help me find something, and I explained what I was looking for.

"Oh, that's been disco'd," he told me.

Now, I'm guessing that doesn't mean the bread has been dressed in a white leisure suit and given choreography by Doriana Sanchez.

I'm bummed. Not only am I missing my hot dog rolls, but now I also have to search again for the perfect bread. Luckily, Pepperidge Farm still makes the same bread in a regular size slice. It's just inconvenient since the regular size bread makes too large a sandwich for the boys to eat all of, but too small a sandwich for them to only have half of. I know, my life is so fraught with difficulties.

_____________________

In other news, I'm going to be posting on another group blog, The Book Nook Club. It contains book reviews and has a monthly online book club component. I'm sure I'll let you all know when my first post is up!

Geez, I move my recipe stuff over to The Veggie Project, now my book stuff over to The Book Nook. All I need to do now is find a parenting/twin blog, and sci-fi TV blog, and a general craziness blog, and I'll be completely out of topics for my own blog. Although I guess I could continue to recount the conversations I have in supermarkets. That makes for some really engaging reading.

As an aside, I have my apple peach blueberry pie recipe up at The Veggie Project. And I made that pie for my last book group meeting. It all ties together, doesn't it?? Food, book groups, me just generally being crazy...

____________________

Replies to comments on Okay, who's watching Heroes?:

Nancy: I'm so glad the boys were well enough to go to school today. It was fun talking to you for 15 seconds :)

Goddess In Progress: You're so right...his taste in TV shows is right up my alley! Thank you :)

LauraC: Glad you got a chance to watch it. Great episodes, right? Oh, I can't wait for this season to unfold!

Trish: Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed your SITS day!

Melodie: Yay! A Veronica Mars fan! I love you!

Mary Ellen: Scarecrow? Heresy! You've obviously never watched Babylon 5, or else his Scarecrow and Mrs. King days would be overwritten by his wonderful turn as Captain Sheridan!

Kimberly: I hope you caught it over on NBC. Wasn't it great??

8 comments:

Melodie said...

From your title, when you first said that you couldn't find the bread you were looking for, I thought it was because John Travolta had bought it all. LOL!

Liz Jimenez said...

Oh, bummer! I liked that smaller-slice stuff! I mean, they make the "light" stuff in a smaller slice, but it has a funny aftertaste. Sigh...

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog Monday...being saucy was a lot of fun!!

Oh and I LOVE Heroes...so glad it's back on!!

Anonymous said...

have you thought of investing in a bread machine? mine's collecting dust somewhere around here at the moment, but there's really NOTHING better than fresh baked bread! and you have total CONTROL. well over the ingredients at least.

you do know that i'm blaming my blog addiction on you, right?

Nancy said...

HAH! I thought Travolta was now making his own bread...you know...like Newmen's Own..? heh

You're too funny. :)

And yes! It was great to see you for that whole 15 seconds today. At least we know we'll see each other on Friday (in all that semi chaos) AND next Wednesday. ;)

Glad your kiddos are feeling better.

Nancy said...

uh. oops...that'd be NewmAn's own *blush*

Anonymous said...

I am a bread snob too. I only by the healthy stuff for sandwich bread. And we love to have a loaf of crusty, chewy, proper sourdough or boule or what-have-you with oil and vinegar. I love the Ecce Panis breads, we call it Icky Penis. :P

Welcome to The Book Nook, I look forward to seeing more posts from you. Feel free to stop by my blog anytime.

pink cake box said...

Interesting about the Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain Oatmeal Small Slice. I read this blog as soon as you posted it but then yesterday I went to Market Basket and they still have that same bread on their shelves (Oct 5th). I even bought it. Its not the regular size,...its the small slice that you like. I had to check again from your blog if it was the same bread. Could it be possible the pepperidge Farm guy could have been high from dancing that he wasn't giving you right info???