Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The ants come marching one by one

N-man found an ant in our kitchen today. As I went to go get it, N-man told me, "that's my pet, mommy."

Well, please tell your pet he's not allowed in our kitchen, and to please not bring any of his friends.

Random unrelated thought: B-man, after reading a few books and seeing it a few times on TV, has decided that Max and Ruby is his favorite TV show. My issue: it's the most gender stereotyped show in recorded history. I mean, short of a caveman grunting "me make fire, you cook dinner", I'm not sure how much worse it could be. Ruby plays with dolls, Max with robots. Ruby makes raspberry fluff cake, Max makes mud pie.

But I don't know what I'm worrying about. Both boys want to be Ruby. So I guess it's good I'm providing them with a female role model?? Just kidding. I'm cutting them off of this one as there's pretty much zero redeeming value or entertainment.

Bonus related thought: I went to a banquet last night for the twin club, and I got dressed up. In a skirt and everything. N-man saw me and said, "what's that" and pointed to my necklace. I told him it was a necklace. His response: "That's kind of cute." [pause] "Can I have it?"

Then B-man told me I looked like Ruby (or Woo-bee, as he says it). I believe he meant it as high praise. Or at least that's what I'm choosing to believe.

More bonus unrelated stuff: I'm reading Zodiac by Neal Stephenson and really loving it. It's an eco-thriller, written quite some time ago (the late 80's) and set in Boston. I have a love/hate relationship with Neal Stephenson. Cryptonomicon is one of my favorite books ever, but Quicksilver bored me out of my mind and took me three tries to slog my way through (I'm glad I persevered, though, as I really enjoyed the second book in the series). Anyway, I'm always a bit hesitant to give him a go. But I found this at a used book store a while ago and picked it up, and just ran across it again on my shelf when I was in a sci-fi kind of mood, so there you go. It's enjoyable and a page turner and just what I was looking for.

Final unrelated crap: I was just going to post a line or two before going to bed, so I'd have some time to read Zodiac. But somehow my mind kept going in different directions. So enjoy this most random of entries!

2 comments:

Mommy, Esq. said...

I'm very impressed with the different types of books you read. I enjoy Fantasy (and a little Sci Fi) and the occassional trashy romance. Husband liked Cryptonomicon so I should probably get him Zodiac.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.