Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Great Polenta Quest

Do you ever get something in your head that you just HAVE to eat? Well, for me, I'm in a polenta kind of mood. One recipe, specifically, where you roast all different veggies with balsamic vinegar and then place it over broiled slices of polenta and add some goat cheese on top. It's so good!

I made this once before with homemade polenta, and made a mess of trying to broil the polenta. My homemade version comes out good, but too sticky. The recipe was still delicious, but I wanted to try it again using premade polenta. You know, the kind you buy in a tube.

Well, apparently, premade polenta is no longer available. At least not where I'm looking. Four different supermarkets and one large farm stand before I finally locate some premade polenta. I found it at Roche Bros supermarket, where my boys proceeded to have a huge meltdown for some unknown reason. Oh, and compounding my problems, I had decided when we got to the store that since my boys didn't want to ride in a cart, they'd be fine walking along with me.

So, I've got a basket in one hand, a huge yearning for polenta, and two boys having tantrums. I get them reasonably comforted, and a very friendly employee finds the polenta for me. I throw it in my basket, pay, and head home. Later that night, I cook dinner: the polenta tube is ripped open and the polenta is hardened and discolored in places. It's obviously been open for quite some time...longer than just a few hours. So, I toss it and we eat plain ol' roasted veggies for dinner.

I still want my polenta. I guess I'll have to go on another grand polenta quest soon.

Random somewhat unrelated topic: Still trying to eat local on a small scale. Figured I'd give a brief review of a local product: gouda from Smith's Country Cheese. I found it at Roche Bros (just before the above mentioned double tantrum that occurred between the cheese section and the polenta aisle). I tried a regular gouda, which I found to have a creamy, mild taste with a faint bitter aftertaste. It was good...better on crackers than by itself. Even more delicious was a Herb flavored gouda spread, that tastes phenomenal. Yum! Roche Bros. didn't have any local cheddar, which is my true cheese love. I'll keep looking...

7 comments:

Snickollet said...

Trader Joe's has polenta in a tube, or at least they did last time I checked . . .

What A Card said...

Of course! I knew I'd seen it somewhere, and of course that was the one place I didn't check! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

now i want polenta. for years T taunted me with his elusive "best you've ever tasted" polenta. finally, last valentine's day he came through and i have to say, he does a fantastic job with it! part of it is the tomato sauce he pours on top, which takes at least two days and every untensil in our kitchen to make.

Anonymous said...

I think that Wilson Farm carries local cheddar...
:)

What A Card said...

Oh, I want homemade tomato sauce! That's one thing I've never tried to make. I blame my Irish heritage...

I was at Wilson Farms as part of the great polenta quest. They have Cabot cheddar, but I haven't decided yet if Vermont counts as "local". I'm making up my own rules, so I guess I say yes!

Anonymous said...

Local vs. not local.
I just got a flyer about why you should support local farmers' markets, and it said that the average head of Romaine lettuce has to travel 1,700 miles to get its destination. By that metric, I would say 240 miles to the Cabot headquarters counts as "local." :)

What A Card said...

Yes, that's true. I've been making "closer" choices, like something from Pennsylvania instead of California. Geez, it'd be simple to eat local in California...everything is from there!

In an odd coincidence, we're having local (from MA) salad greens and local (from ME) tomato. Of all things. In February. Who knew! Gotta love whatever greenhouse was growing this :)