Monday, August 25, 2008

Potty training, school, when did these kids get so old?

B-man is largely potty trained. N-man is still wearing diapers. Geez, I hate when one of my boys is "better" than the other at something (even though I know full well potty training isn't a competition or any reflection of intelligence). Potty training is just one of those things where it's impossible NOT to compare them. I mean, one uses the potty and one doesn't. One wears underwear and one doesn't.

Of course, I'm doing my best not to place any value judgments on which of these states is better, but other people do. Ah well, it's hard to have a sibling sometimes, and it's extra hard when it's a same-age sibling.

I'm reading The No-Cry Potty Training Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. I thought it was going to be about how to keep ME from crying. Ha, just kidding. I guess I was going about it all wrong with the rolled up newspaper smacks to the nose.* I'm not finding the book all that useful, although it does reinforce my opinion that N-man wasn't quite ready for potty training yet. So we'll try again soon.

In unrelated news, the boys start preschool in just over a week. I can hardly believe it. I know it goes fast, but this is ridiculous!

Random unrelated thought: I've been od'ing on YA Vampire fiction. I read Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and then Peeps by Scott Westerfeld. Both were enjoyable, although Peeps was more up my alley. In Peeps, the "vampirism" is really a parasitic infection. Every other chapter is a description of a real-world parasite. I know, that sounds odd, but it really works and is so interesting.

I'm off to the library now...



*I'm always worried people don't get me. I'm just kidding.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

HAH! Let me know if that smack on the nose works...I may try it ;)

Burke told me today that he wanted diapers because he wasn't a big boy. Hoo Boy. I seriously hope this isn't a back slide!!

And I can't believe your MIL "doctored" your hubby's birth certificate! That's too funny :)

Threeundertwo said...

Oh wait - we're *not* supposed to use a rolled-up paper?

I did it all wrong.

Anonymous said...

Gonna be trying that newspaper thing with McDuff! You are a GREAT writer; I love reading your stuff. Anxious to read your book someday.