Friday, October 24, 2008

Allergy follow-up

B-man had his 1 year follow-up appointment for his food allergies. I've been kind of dreading it, because the scratch test is pretty horrific, and that's just watching it. I can't imagine what it's like having to be in the body that is being tortured as such.

We went to the appointment, with stickers and toys and crayons and all manner of distractions. And then the allergist (who we love), said he wasn't going to recommend doing the scratch test this year. Yay! But the reason: B-man's reaction was so severe last year, it's unlikely he's outgrown his allergies. And there's no reason to put a child through such a harrowing experience when it's not likely to produce meaningful results. Last year, his wheal from the pistachio testing covered about a fourth of his back!

So I'm glad that B-man didn't have to go through that, but sad that things are so bad that there's little hope for good news. He did run a blood test, and said if things come back looking really good, we'll have to come back in for scratch testing to confirm good results. So I guess now I have to start hoping we *will* have to go back for the scratch test.

The doctor also said it wouldn't shock him if B-man has developed allergies to additional tree nuts. Not that it really matters: while he's only allergic to pistachios, cashews, and chestnuts, we avoid all tree nuts. But still, it's just annoying.

Ah well. As I always think with these allergies, it could be worse. Far, far worse. I guess I'll take food allergies any day of the week.

_____________

In semi-related news, last Tuesday B-man and N-man got flu shots. N-man freaked out and wanted his bandaid off immediately. I made him wait until we got to the parking lot. To be completely different, B-man fell in love with his bandaid and won't let us touch it. I mean, the first thing he thinks of when we start to change his shirt is "Don't touch my bandaid". When he takes a bath, he tell us, "Don't get water on my bandaid". So, it's been a week and a half, and do you know that stupid bandaid is still holding strong? How long will this bandaid say on? What do they make the adhesive from? Super glue? And now he's got another bandaid from his blood draw today. I swear, sometime around Christmas I'm going to be yanking these off in his sleep!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I'm glad he didn't need the scratch test, but am sorry for the reason. I had 2 scratch tests and it was a horrible experience (actually was so allergic I had to get a shot of epi). I'd hate for him to go thru that again!! Hopefully the blood test results will be pleasantly suprising!

Rhonda said...

I can't even imagine what the allergy testing is like and really have no words for you.

However, bandaids are another topic all together. Hannah hates them and never wants one for anything. Sophie adores bandaids and will keep one on forever. Seriously, forever. I don't know what they make them out of these days, but even getting the wet doesn't help. Sophie had one on her knee for 2 weeks, with daily baths involving long soaks in the tub and we finally had to hold her down and remove the darn thing. On the upside, she seems to think they are a magic cure for most ailments.

Anonymous said...

my heart goes out to you WRT the allergy thing. i know you're not looking for sympathy here - but i can't even imagine...

i'm hoping there's good news on that front in the not-so-distant future.

now bandaids. my single child has swung from one extreme to the other on these himself. i used to have to rip them off as soon as we got to the car - i had the only child i knew who didn't like bandaids. now, he will beg one every chance he gets and will leave them on till the fall off. we don't have the superglue type here though. sponge bob just isn't that tough.

Anonymous said...

Like you don't have enough to worry about ... be cautious with leaving the bandaids on toooo long since an itchy rash might develop underneath ... the Big J has this reaction and always removes blood work bandages as soon as possible. Will keep my fingers crossed that B-Man's blood test is encouraging ...

LauraC said...

That is a serious bummer about the allergies. I know what you mean about scratch testing. Nate had to go through it before age 1 for every food he had tried and it was one of the worst experiences I've had as a parent. He got so many pricks that at one point he stopped screaming bc he saw it was doing no good. That's when I really lost it.

I never read the advice on your post for Halloween advice... hope you will dole some out so those of us can offer options for kids with allergies!

Nancy said...

Dang. I was hoping you'd come back and say "HE'S ALL SET!" ...I suppose there's still hope that will happen, so I'll keep my hopes up for you. :)

And I totally hear you about the bandaid thing...well...both of mine love them. We had to institute a new rule that they only get them if there's blood. . . we were going through waaaay too many for just bumps ;)

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain re: nut allergies.