Friday, July 4, 2008

CSA Week 4: Anthony Hopkins would be proud!


So, what have we got here? I'll tell you!
  • 2 heads of lettuce
  • Bunch of arugula (what to do, what to do?)
  • Bunch of beets (they only had the red ones this time, so I'm glad I tried the golden ones last week!)
  • Bunch of baby carrots (yum!!)
  • 15 Fava Beans (certain to be eaten as a Hannibal Lecter special: with liver and a nice Chianti. Just kidding!)
  • 1 Bunch scallions
  • 1 1/2 lbs squash (we took patty pan and yellow squash)
  • Misc. herbs, including flat leaf parsley, basil, and mint
  • Oh, and a small bouquet of flowers. Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a big fan of cut flowers. I find them kind of depressing. But the boys LOVE to pick flowers, so how could we deny them the excitement of fully sanctioned flower picking? As opposed to the normal, "NO! You're not allowed to pick flowers out of someone's garden!"
Any recipe suggestions? I'm all ears!

Random unrelated thought, I'm a 4th of July Scrooge edition: Our neighbors are idiots. They're lighting fireworks off in their backyard. Um, fireworks are illegal here. Um, there are a zillion trees in our backyards. Um, the houses are densely packed together and my roof isn't that far from where you're lighting those things.

I don't hate fireworks, and I'm not particularly scared of them, I just think it's better left to the professionals. Perhaps that's due to a "neighborhood" fireworks display I attended a few years back at my cousin's house (in a state where it is legal for just anyone to buy and set off fireworks). One of the fireworks misfired sideways, hit a woman who lived across the street, and set her leg on fire. Hello, 911. Hello, woman screaming in pain.

Is there really any better way to celebrate the birth of our nation than with a trip to the emergency room and permanent scarring?

1 comment:

pink cake box said...

I'm with you with fireworks. I grew up in a different country/culture where 90% of household have fireworks to celebrate the New Year's. It's a belief that the louder your fireworks are (which means more danger)the better it is to scare the bad spirits as you enter a new year. HA! And hours before midnight the main topic on the news is, if hospitals are ready for all the emergencies that they anticipate that night. And I won't even get into what I've seen and what people have lost due to fireworks. Now isn't that idiotic? My family never played with fireworks, but sadly its not because it was dangerous but my Dad says that buying fireworks and lighting them is literally burning money.