Monday, July 28, 2008

CSA Week 7: Tomato Alert!

Oh yeah! It's finally time, what I've been waiting for: tomatoes!!!


Here's what we got:
  • 2 heads lettuce
  • 3 cucumbers (what in the world am I going to do with these? I hate cukes!)
  • 1 bunch of carrots (mix of orange, red, and yellow carrots)
  • 3 lbs (I think, I can't remember for sure) of squash
  • 6 ears of corn (this was the first thing I was disappointed with from the CSA. We cooked them right away, and it was some of the worst corn I've had. Yuck. Hopefully if we get more, it'll be better. I love corn, so this was a huge disappointment).
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 eggplant (we chose a neat round type)
  • 3 lbs of tomatoes! Yay!
  • 6 heads of garlic! Yay!
  • It was pouring when we went to our pick up, but that didn't slow us down any. We still went for the you pick green and yellow beans. In a downpour. It was so funny. We were all soaked and muddy. It was fun, but we did decide to skip all the other you-pick this week.
I'm getting buried in cucumbers. I really need to make some pickles. I wish I was getting buried in eggplant. We're not getting nearly enough eggplant. I'm not sure what to make with one little eggplant. We went to a farmers' market this weekend and I hoped to get a few more eggplants, but wouldn't you know there weren't any. Maybe we're still too early in the eggplant season??

Random unrelated thought: I organized a silent auction for the Mother of Twins National Convention this past week, which is why my posts have been pretty sparse lately. It was fun, but wouldn't you know, I ended up with the worst migraine of my life while I was there. I finally had to leave part way through the auction. Anyone know a miracle migraine cure? Because this is getting ridiculous as I've been getting migraines more and more frequently.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I planted a grape tomato plant...and I'm starting to see some! I'm so excited :D

...I can't believe you don't like cucumbers! heh I find that humorous since you like all those other veggies :)

I get migraines all the time...are you looking for meds miracle or non-meds? For over-the-counter: Excederine Migraine along with extra caffeine (coke/coffee) sometimes helps (not really). For prescription: Imitrex worked for me for a while, but it made me more loopy than I already am...the best one out there (for me) is Axert. Of course, I can't use it until I completely stop nursing...

Do you have triggers? food, stress, etc? Sometimes it's "just" a matter of staying away from those. I can't touch red wine or raw onions...

If you find something non-meds that works, let me know!!

What A Card said...

I'm pretty sure heat and lack of sleep are my triggers. I do my best to stay in air conditioning and get plenty of sleep!

One of the women in our twin club suggested two shots of liquor and a nap to cure migraines. I like the sound of that!

Snickollet said...

My doc gave me the best migraine cure EVER about ten years ago when I got migraines all the time. You will laugh when you read it, though, because it is clearly for people without kids.

You need to get a consistent amount of sleep every night. Go to bed at the same time every day, get up at the same time every day. If you do this, you will almost never get a migraine. Don't try to make up for lost sleep or vary the start and end times to make a certain number of hours. It's all about being consistent.

I was able to do this before I had kids and it totally zapped my migraines. Now that I have kids? Well, I find that caffeine is helpful in keeping them at bay, although then it's hard to sleep . . .

I'm glad the auction went well.